Helsinki Summer School is a three-week academic event organised every August by University of Helsinki, Aalto University and Hanken School of Economics. Each year we give advanced degree students from over 60 countries an unforgettable experience that combines academic studies with a wide range of cultural and social activities.
This summer Helsinki Summer School is organized in August 6 to 22 and our course offering includes all together 17 fully credited courses covering a wide range of academic fields. All our courses are designed to challenge and inspire you in any field that holds your interest. In Helsinki, a city known for design, technology and a vibrant cultural life, you’ll discover the perfect environment for studying, making new friends and having fun!
The heart and soul of Helsinki Summer School is its wide range of fully-credited courses, all of which are taught in English. Helsinki Summer School offers courses for students doing their Bachelor's, Master's or PhD degree. The number of credits (ECTS) given varies depending on the scope of the course. Because of the demanding and intensive nature of our courses, students may be enrolled in only one course at a time.
This year’s summer school gives a great opportunity to deepen your knowledge for example in the themes of behavioral sciences, urban planning, environmental issues and design. You may choose your course preference from the following list:
- Activity Theory and Formative Interventions, COURSE FULL
- Advanced Materials
- Cognitive Neuroscience
- Designing Sustainable Forest Landscapes
- Ecology and Management of Urban Green Space
- Emotions and Interculturality
- Intercultural Communication and Education: Moving On
- Interdisciplinary Product Development
- Introduction to Bioethics
- Introduction to Holocaust and Genocide Studies
- Politics of Nations in Europe Today
- Post-socialist Society and Culture
- Representation of Curves and Surfaces
- Service Marketing and Design
- Special Topics in Emerging Markets
- Video in Research on Learning and Education
- The Welfare City
How to apply
APPLICATION AND REGISTRATION
We select our students on a first come, first served basis. The courses of Helsinki Summer School have grown increasingly popular and many of them are fully booked as early as May. In order to secure your participation, we advise you to submit your application as soon as possible.
There are two stages in the application process:
1. Fill in and submit the online application form. Please pay special attention to the "Letter of Motivation".
If you have problems submitting the online application form, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Once you have received email confirmation of your acceptance to Helsinki Summer School, we ask you to pay the registration fee (150 EUR additional fees) in full within seven days. Do not pay the registration fee before you have received confirmation of your acceptance.
If you register before 31 May 2013, you will receive a 50 EUR discount on the registration fee. The registration fee can be paid either by bank transfer or credit card.
If we do not receive a credit card payment or copy of the bank transfer within one week of notification of your acceptance, your course reservation WILL BE CANCELLED. Your application will, however, remain in our database and, if there are still space available, you may renew your registration simply by contacting us.
- Your patricipation to the course will be ensured ONLY once you have paid the registration fee in full. The registration fee is non-refundable.
- Course changes cannot be made after your course has started.